Monday, January 30, 2006

Tommy this and Tommy that ...


I have recently been doing some family history research. It turns out I found a great uncle that was lost after the Second World War. It's a small and hollow victory as he has no known grave and is commemorated on the Cassino Memorial.

This doesn't mean he died during the battle for Monte Cassino, just that he died during the Italian campaign. He was a regular soldier in the 1st Batallion Durham Light Infantry, having joined up before the war and he died on September 8 1943. He was from Liverpool where all the English side of my family is from. His name was Thomas Harvey.

If anyone in Blogland can help me tie up his date of death with a particular action in which 1st Bn DLI were involved. Names like Pergola Ridge and Salerno keep cropping up but I can't pin the 1st BN DLI down to them.

His two sisters, my grandmother and my great aunt, tried to find him after the war but had no luck - the advent of the computer makes records searches easy.

So if you have any connections to the DLI or can help in any way please contact me.

No comments: