Monday, March 27, 2006

I never thought that I would be

No, not "fighting fascists in a Southern Sea" but making friends in cyberspace.

I started this blog in May 2004 over on aol hometown. Over there (and in real life) I was Billy no mates and thought that I would be the tree falling in the wilderness of blogdom when I started on blogger. I found blogexplosion and some other kind sympatico people found me.

I have never met any of these lovely people (although I have some nice invites now: KW, Ally). I check in with them every day even when I'm in that particular headspace that prevents me even from saying "Hi", worry about them, think about them and feel involved with them in the same way I would if I lived next door. This would, of course, be a virtual next door as many of us want to live in the middle of nowhere surrounded by vegetables (it's sounding more and more like Plymouth, this utopia) and sundry domesticated animals.

I thought having the little genius would help to reconnect me with the world through the medium of mother and toddler groups etc. I have discovered that these seem largely to be a thing of the past now as many new mothers go straight back to work - I'm sure there is probably a scoial sciences PhD in there somewhere - but oddly, given my fascination with the interweb - I have found myself connected again, to people from all over the world, that I would never otherwise have met.

Cheryl - Charles - Erin - Mary - Vickie - Annie/Cat - Steggy - Graeme - Last Year's Man (well I already knew this one) - Susan

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a funny world, innit? I also find I look on fellow bloggers as next-door neighbours - particularly when you do a solitary job, and live in a solitary house, it's nice, plus that way you get to choose your neighbours! Also, it's nice to 'meet' people with similar interests, which just seems to be easier online than IRL.

Seriously, the invite stands. :)

Cheryl said...

You better believe it - same as you - I often lurk, but I worry about you when you don't post for a while.
Its funny to be so invested in people that I have never met, that even when I can't think of anything to say, I still need to know they're OK.
Oh and by the way, you are kind, fair, deep, thoughtful and insightful and a real find. Billy no mates my eye teeth! No chance.
xx

She Weevil said...

Just not very good at it "IRL" anymore - maybe it's all the moving around, investing and having to reinvest. Maybe the fact that after I graduated all my friends went back to their real lives. Even at work I do connect with some people but find that it's not the kind of connection that I want to be permanent - except Mark Warren - where are you? If you google yourself and find this get in touch. New post coming on I think.

Ally said...

Yes, I think of 'blogfriends' as neighbours, too. I had a conversation with B the other day when we both exchanged our concerns about someone we both read. Odd; but nice.

Perhaps we could set up some sort of commune surrounded by vegetables? :)

Greg said...

A commune? Ally, you hippie! But what a cool idea! Maybe we could...I'm sorry, I'm rambling.
SW is right though. It's a little strange but very heart-warming that this strange technological thing can bring people from all parts of the globe together as friends. For that's what I consider many of the people I've met this way. As I don't get out much ("that's obvious!" they cried in unison) it's such a nice feeling to have friends I can check in with every day. Even if you don't hear me, I'm not far away!
*raises glass* Here's to us, people!

Badaunt said...

Funny you should mention this. I just introduced you to Frally, who I don't think you've (virtually) met. When I read your post on 1940's knitting patterns, I went straight over there to tell her about it. She has been neglecting her blog because she's got so involved in knitting.

What does it mean when you introduce one cyber-friend you've never met to another cyber-friend you've never met, because you think they'll like each other (even though they're never likely to actually meet)?

Isn't it FUN?

She Weevil said...

I've been over to say hi to Frally: I'm going to post some of my really old (well okay, not that old) patterns on here if I can being the book is out of print.

The pictures are terrific